GHANA ASSOCIATION OF WRITERS (GAW)
6TH GAW LITERARY AWARDS (2022)
CALL FOR ENTRIES
The Ghana Association of Writers (GAW) announces the Call for Submission of qualified literary works from January 1, 2021 to March 30, 2022 for the 6th GAW Literary Awards to be held in November, 2022 under the theme, “Honouring Literary Excellence.”
The prestigious GAW Literary Awards was first held in August 1987, thirty years after the founding of GAW, under the leadership of Professor Atukwei Okai. The awards were created to be organised annually to honour, celebrate, inspire and promote outstanding Ghanaian literary talent, as GAW believes that literature plays a critical role in the development of a nation. Since its establishment in 1987, the GAW literary Awards has grown to become the largest literary awards in the country. This year, the awards will recognize writers in twelve categories:
- Novel (Ayi Kwei Armah Prize)
- Short Story (Ama Ata Aidoo Prize)
- Poetry (Atukwei Okai Prize)
- Children’s Story Book (Efua Sutherland Prize)
- Children’s Poetry (Kwesi Brew Prize)
- Young Writer (not more than 25 years) (Bill Okyere Marshall Prize)
- Creative Non-Fiction (Kofi Awoonor Prize)
- Drama (Efo Kodzo Mawugbe Prize)
- Spoken Word (video/audio) (Kofi Anyidoho Prize)
- Script Writing (video/audio) (Kwaw Ansah Prize)
- Ghanaian Language Special Award (Kate Abban Prize)
- Science & Mathematics Textbook Writers Special Award (Jophus Anamuah-Mensah & Francis Kofi Ampenyin Allotey Prize)
Submissions Opening Date: Tuesday, February 15, 2022.
Submissions Closing Date: Friday, April 15, 2022 At 2:00 P.M.
Please note that Submission Forms, Audio & E-Books may be submitted online. (Submission of both Audio & E-Books is encouraged). Hard copy books and other works may be submitted by courier or self-delivery at the Secretariat at PAWA house, Roman Ridge, Accra.
The works must demonstrate good linguistic presentation, societal values, universal truths, the nation’s identity and cultural aesthetics. It must also contribute to social cohesion and nation building.
The Awards will also confer a number of Achievements Awards and Distinguished Service Awards on notable literary personalities who have contributed in various ways to the development of literature and the arts in the country
RULES FOR ENTRY
- This award is opened to works by Ghanaian authors or anyone resident in Ghana for at least three years.
- Entries may be on any subject or theme.
- Entries must be original and published in Ghana or abroad in physical book format, Audio and E-Books formats between January 1, 2021 and March 30, 2022.
- Preferably, all works must be in English, except for works entered in the Ghanaian language special award category, and submitted by the Bureau of Ghana Languages (BGL).
- Accessibility of work to general reading public (general commercial release).
- Anthologies of short stories, poetry, or essays by multiple authors, ineligible.
- Collections of short stories, poetry, or essays in newspapers, magazines, or online previously published and compiled into book format are eligible.
- A contestant may submit different works for the competition.
- Revised editions of works submitted in a previous year are eligible for entry.
- No submission of same work in more than one language in the same award period.
- Participants are required to submit four (4) copies of their works.
- Participants are advised to keep a copy of their entries.
- Members of the Awards Committee are not eligible to enter.
- The organisers shall not be held responsible for any entries that have been lost or damaged in transit.
- All works submitted in the Competition will be retained by GAW.
- All disputes, claims and causes of action are to be settled by the Awards Committee.
The awards event is under the management of a special committee (The 6th GAW Literary Awards Planning Committee).
The National Executive Committee (NEC) of GAW, however, keeps oversight responsibility of the Committee.
Launch of Awards is on Tuesday, February 15, 2022.
Winnowing and shortlisting
Assessment will be by distinguished literary assessors (three in each category).
Collation of winning works
(Three winners of each category will be declared. The Ultimate Awards, First Runner-Ups and Second Runner-Ups)
Announcement of three finalists for all the categories at least three days ahead of the awards event in the media and on all GAW social media platforms.
The winning positions will be announced at the Awards ceremony in November, 2022
For additional information and submission to the Award, contact any of the following:
The Awards Committee,
Ghana Association of Writers (GAW)
South Ridge Road
Roman Ridge, Accra
Ghana Association of Writers (GAW)
P. O. Box LG 375,
Tel.#: 233 302732019
Email Address: email@example.com
Please follow the instructions below to complete and submit your entry.
Please note that Submissions Forms and E-Books may be submitted online via email. Hard copy books and other works may be submitted by courier or self-delivery at the Secretariat at PAWA House, Roman Ridge, Accra.
Online submission via email:
- Download the literary works submission forms (Online submission entry form)
- Fill the downloaded entry form correctly in Microsoft word.
- Submit your forms with all required attachments as stated in the RULES FOR ENTRY to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submission by courier or self-delivery:
- Download the literary works submission forms (courier or self-delivery entry form)
- Fill the downloaded entry form correctly in blue/black ink.
- Return the completed form with all required attachments as stated in the RULES FOR ENTRY to the addresses below:
The General Secretariat, Ghana Association of Writers (GAW) at
PAWA house, South Ridge Street, Roman Ridge Accra, Ghana or post to the postal address below:
P.O. Box LG 375, Legon, Accra, Ghana.
Please click on the links below to download your entry form